Holy Cross Research Fellow
Sharon MacDonald is a social and cultural historian, and has done considerable research on women’s history in the Maritimes and India. She has an M.A. in Atlantic Canada Studies from Saint Mary’s University, and a Ph.D. in history from the University of New Brunswick, and has done specific work on Protestant Evangelicalism from the late 18th to the early 20th centuries, and on Women and Religion in the Atlantic Provinces.
She has taught at Mt. St. Vincent University, and has worked for the N.S. Museum, the Canadian Museum of Civilization, and the Korean National Commission for Unesco.
What she hopes to bring to any project is her passion for ferreting out unlikely sources of information in order to “put flesh on the bones” of those who have left no obvious trail of documentation. From the amassing of fragmentary pieces it may not be possible to learn anything of the inner life of subjects, but it is possible to build some picture of the world they inhabited.
- MacDonald, Sharon M. H. (2010). “A Failure at Physics.” In Feminist Journeys/Voies Feminists, Marguerite Andersen (ed.)., Toronto, Ontario: Feminist History Society.
- MacDonald, Sharon M. H. (2010). “A Passionate Voice for Equality, Justice and Peace: Nova Scotia’s Mary Russell Chesley.” In Making up the State: Women in Twentieth Century Atlantic Canada, Janet Guildford and Suzanne Morton (eds.). Fredericton: Acadiensis Press.
- MacDonald, Sharon M. H. (2002). “Public or Private? Women’s Volunteer Labour in Nova Scotia – A Personal Perspective.” In Canadian and American Women: Moving from Private to Public Experiences in the Atlantic World. Valeria Gennaro Lerda and Roberto Maccarini (eds.). Milano: Selene Edizioni.
- MacDonald, Sharon M. H. (2001). ” ‘As the Locusts in Egypt Gathered Crops’: Hooked Mat Mania and Cross-border Shopping in the Early Twentieth Century.”Material History Review: Vol. 54.
- MacDonald, Sharon M. H. (1995). “The Bell Club: One Hundred Years of Women’s Cultural and Literary Life in Baddeck, Nova Scotia.” Atlantis: Vol. 20, No. 1.
- MacDonald, Sharon and Scott Robson. (1995). Old Nova Scotia Quilts. Halifax: Nimbus Publishing.